2/15/21: Arizona Licensing Division announces a new fingerprinting process effective March 13, 2021.
Arizona Department of Insurance 602-364-4457
Testing Provider (Prometric) (800) 853-5448
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance as an insurance producer in Arizona, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Get Fingerprinted
If you are taking an insurance exam for the first time, you must be fingerprinted. Only students who have an existing license and are adding a new line of authority or those who have submitting fingerprints to the Arizona Department of Insurance within the past year are exempt from the fingerprinting requirement. The requirement can be met either before the exam or after. Fingerprints must be submitted electronically through the state-apprved vendor, Thales Gemalto. Register online on their website. For fingerprint codes, see notice from state.
3. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax, or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted. You can register to have your fingerprints taken at the same time that you register for your exam.
· Online: Make an online reservation with Prometric
· Phone: (800) 853-5448
· Fax: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
1. Submit the registration form along with payment to:
ATTN: AZ Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (800) 347-9242
2. Call (800) 853-5448 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
· A current, signed form of identification. The identification document must:
o Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
o Contain both a current photo and your signature
o Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate’s educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
4. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application through NIPR.
Candidates who do not pass can schedule the exam again with no waiting period.