9/22/20: Pearson VUE's online remote proctoring, OnVUE, is now live for Indiana insurance candidates.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Indiana, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements of your course, you must submit the affidavit found in the course in order to be eligible to receive a Certificate of Completion. Prelicensing education is valid for six months from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe. Use manager discount email firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Pearson VUE. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/in/insurance at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
· Phone: (866-895-0496)
o Before calling, you must have the following:
-Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
-Name of the exam
-Preferred exam date and test center location
· Fax: Reservation Form (found in the Pearson VUE Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook)
What to Bring
1. A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Drivers License or Passport
2. Certificate of Completion
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed for the score report.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Studying is not allowed in the test center.
· The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
· You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Indiana
· Each exam contains "pretest" questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked "pass or fail".
· Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic, and re-testing information.
Retaking Exam Requirements
· Candidates must wait 48 hours before retaking an examination.
3. Apply for a License
After passing the exam, apply for your license online at https://www.sircon.com/indianaor http://www.nipr.com. For complete licensing procedures, visit the IDOI's website at https://www.in.gov/idoi/2446.htm.