Kentucky Department of Insurance (502) 564-6004
Testing Provider (Kentucky Department of Insurance) (502) 564-6004
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Kentucky, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. After passing the Certification Exam with a 70% or greater, you will receive a Certificate of Completion and your education will be reported electronically to the state insurance department. Prelicensing education is valid for one year from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe. Certificates of Completion submitted to the DOI are invalid without signature and date. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Apply for a Background Check
· Apply for Criminal Background Report online through the KY Administrative Office of the Courts (AOC) at https://courts.ky.gov. Fees are paid online, and are not refundable.
· All AOC requests are typically processed within 24 hours (except for weekends and state-approved holidays.)
o Select “One-Time Request” - lets you place a single order and receive the report by U.S. mail. You may submit the report directly to DOI at DOI.LicensingMail@ky.gov, or this may be uploaded securely through the KY eServices account, OR
o Select AOCFastCheck - lets you order criminal record reports and retrieve the results online when your request has been processed.
-If you are a first-time user, select Register to create account. You will receive an e-mail to verify your e-mail address. If you have an account, click Login to access your account.
-After logging into account, select AOCFastCheck from the Main Menu. This will take the user to the Request History page.
-Next, click on Create New Record Request. From there, you will be taken to the Record Request page.
-Under Category, select Licensing;
-Under Group, select Dept of Insurance (DOI);
-Under Reason, select Licensing.
-Follow the directions to complete your request to ensure the Department of Insurance receives a copy of your report. The non-refundable fee is payable by credit card or electronic check.
-Record results are not e-mailed to DOI or the user. All results for requests submitted online are housed on the Kentucky Court of Justice Website. Both DOI and the user will retrieve their results from this site. The user will receive an e-mail notification, upon completion of the record request transaction. The e-mail will contain a link to the KCOJ website to retrieve the report.
-You may submit the report directly to DOI at DOI.LicensingMail@ky.gov, or preferably through the KY eServices secure account.
-The AOC criminal background report is valid for 60 days. New applications require a new background report.
3. Apply for a License
· Complete and submit electronic application through www.nipr.com. Licensing fees may be paid by credit card or electronic check and are non-refundable once the transaction is submitted. When transaction has been completed, please allow up to 5 business days for DOI to review and process the application.
· Within 24 hours of application transaction, you set up a KY eServices account in order to track the status of application, and schedule / reschedule examinations. Create an individual license account at this link: Department of Insurance (ky.gov).
4. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by the Kentucky Department of Insurance. After you have received notification that your application has been processed, schedule your examination online by setting up an eServices account at https://insurance.ky.gov/doieservices/UserRole.aspx.
What to Bring
Bring a current form of government-issued photo ID. (No cellphone or smart watches are allowed during the exams.)
· Report to the test center at least 10 minutes before your scheduled exam.
· Exam results are provided at the testing site, and may be printed from eServices.
· An applicant may test an unlimited number of times within a 120-day timeline. The expiration date may be found in eServices, and is listed on the initial examination notice. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
· There is an examination fee of $50 for each scheduled retake of an examination.
· Changes to exam appointments should be made 24 business hours prior to the scheduled time; failure to give 24-hour notice of cancellation may result in the forfeiture of the $50 examination fee.
5. Print Your License
Once the test results have been submitted, log in to your eServices account at https://insurance.ky.gov/Eservices/default.aspx to print off your license.