4/8/20: The Mississippi Insurance Department is now issuing temporary licenses.
Mississippi Insurance Department (601) 359-3582
Testing Provider (Pearson VUE) (888) 293-4222
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Mississippi, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam must be monitored by a disinterested third party (someone who is not a friend, family member, or financial connection to you). Prelicensing education is valid for two years from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
As of July 1, 2017, Licensing exams are provided by Pearson Vue. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/ms/insurance at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
· Phone: (888-293-4222)
o Before calling, you must have the following:
-Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
-Name of the exam
-Preferred exam date and test center location
· Fax: Reservation Form (found in the Pearson VUE Insurance Licensing Candidate Handbook)
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
1. A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Drivers License or Passport
2. A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed for the score report.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Studying is not allowed in the test center.
· The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
· You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Mississippi
· Each exam contains "pretest" questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%. (Life Only, Accident & Health or Sickness Only and the Life, Accident & Health or Sickness (combined) pass score is 65%.)
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked "pass or fail".
· Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic, and re-testing information. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
3. Apply for License
After successfully completing the examination, applicants must complete an online application at www.sircon.com or www.nipr.com or download a paper application from the Mississippi Insurance Department website at www.mid.ms.gov .
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 601-359-3582