New Jersey Updates:
3/29/21: The Certification Exam Monitor requirement is currently being waived due to COVID-19.
9/14/20: New Jersey issues Bulletin 20-32 announcing that PSI will go live remote testing for New Jersey candidates on 9/15/20. Learn more about PSI's remote testing platform, PSI Bridge.
8/31/20: PSI has added a new dedicated phone line (855-579-4634) for New Jersey candidates to help improve call center response time.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance as an insurance producer in New Jersey, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you must take a state-approved insurance course.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam must be monitored by a disinterested third party (someone who is not a friend, family member, or financial connection to you). After passing the Certification Exam with a 70% or greater, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Prelicensing education does not expire in the state of New Jersey. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
· Online: https://home.psiexams.com/#/home
· Phone: (855) 579-4634
· Fax completed Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
· Mail completed Registration Form and submit the appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration NJ INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
· A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
· A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
You will be required to supply a copy of your Prelicensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
· No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
· Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
· No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
· Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
· You may not exit the building during the exam.
· Copying or communicating exam content is a violation of PSI security policy and Section 1681.5 of the CIC. Either may result in the disqualification of exam results and lead to legal action and prosecution.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
· You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
· You may not wear a jacket, coat, or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
· You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
· You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion-type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
· You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to New Jersey
· Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
1. If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
2. If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
3. Get Fingerprinted
Schedule your fingerprint appointment at https://uenroll.identogo.com/ or by calling (877) 503-5981. Use Service code: 2F16Y3.
4. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.