New Mexico Updates:
7/14/20: Take a look into Prometric's remote testing technology, ProProctor. Perform a system check on your computer to see if it meets the technical specifications and view the ProProctor User Guide for all other requirements.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance as an insurance producer in New Mexico, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.
Once the application is approved, you will be sent an email notification of eligibility and instructions for scheduling the exam. The application is valid for 6 months. If you fail to pass your state exam within this timeframe, you will have to submit a new application and registration form, and you will have to pay the appropriate fees again.
3. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax, or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted.
· Phone: (800) 813-6737
· Fax: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
1. Submit the registration form along with payment to:
ATTN: NM Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (800) 347-9242
2. Call (800) 341-3257 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
· A current, signed form of identification. The identification document must:
o Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
o Contain both a current photo and your signature
o Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate's educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
4. Receive Your License
Your passing exam result will be electronically submitted to the Office of the Superintendent of Insurance, and your license should be issued within ten working days from the date you pass the examination. Agents must become appointed within 60 days from the date the license is issued.
·Candidates who do not pass can schedule the exam again with no waiting period.