North Dakota Updates:
6/25/20: Take a look into Prometric's remote testing technology, ProProctor. Perform a system checkon your computer to see if it meets the technical specifications and view the ProProctor User Guide for all other requirements.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in North Dakota, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams and fingerprinting are provided by Prometric. All fees must be paid at the time of reservation with a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Phone: (800) 896-2272
· Fax: (800) 347-9242
· Mail completed Registration Form along with payment to: Prometric, Attn: ND Insrance Exam Registration, 7941 Corporate Drive, Nottingham, MD 21236
What to Bring
A current, signed form of identification that must:
· Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued id card, passport or military id card)
· Contain both a current photo and your signature
· Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and complete security checks.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· At the end of the exam, you will see a completion notice on screen. A copy of your score report will be emailed to you. The report indicates the overall score and grade, including the numerical percentage of questions answered correctly and whether you passed or failed.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance of your exam results within 48 hours of passing the exam.
3. Get Fingerprinted
After passing your exam, candidates must get fingerprinted (by Prometric) for a background check required by the state. Candidates are not required to submit fingerprints if you are adding a line of authority to an existing resident North Dakota producer license or you are reinstating a resident producer license that expired within the previous 12 months.
4. Apply for a License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at http://www.nipr.com.