3/18/21: PSI and Ohio have announced they will be offering remote testing for insurance candidates starting 4/7/2021. Learn more about PSI's remote testing platform, PSI Bridge.
9/17/20: PSI has added a new dedicated phone line (855-807-3995) for Ohio candidates to help improve call center response time.
4/15/20: Ohio will issue temporary resident agent licenses.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Ohio, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
When you satisfy the requirements for your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion and Exam FX will report your course completion to the state. Prelicensing education is valid for 180 days from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe. Ohio requires you to bring a copy of the Certificate(s) of Completion to your licensing exam. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by PSI. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
· Phone: (855) 807-3995
· Email the completed PSI registration form (found in bulletin) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Allow 4 business days for processing; then go online or and call PSI to schedule exam.
· Fax the completed PSI registration form to (702) 932-2666. Allow 4 business days for processing; then go online or and call PSI to schedule exam.
· Mail the completed PSI registration form and appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration OH INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. Allow 2 weeks for processing; then go online or call PSI to schedule exam.
What to Bring
· Your Certificate(s) of Completion from a completed prelicensing course of study
· Two forms of current (not expired), signature identification:
o A primary ID (photograph and signature) such as a Driver's license or Passport
o A secondary ID (signature) such as a Debit or Credit card
· For remote proctor testing:
o You MUST email your prelicensing certificate(s) or education waiver(s) to email@example.com 24 hours of passing the exam. The Department is unable to process any license application without receipt of the valid PLE certificate(s). Therefore, failure to timely submit the PLE certificate(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org WILL delay the licensure process.
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
· No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
· Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
· No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
· Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
· You may not exit the building during the exam.
· Any candidate seen giving or receiving assistance will be asked to leave the exam center. The dismissal will be reported to the state and you may be denied licensure.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
· You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
· You may not wear a jacket, coat or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
· You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
· You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
· You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate’s educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Candidates who fail can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
3. Get Fingerprinted
Once you have passed your state exam, you will need to be fingerprinted by a National WebCheck provider. Details on the background check can be found on the ODI Background Check website. When you have your fingerprints taken, be sure to inform the provider that you need the “direct copy” option. WebCheck requests are processed within two business days.
4. Apply for License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at NIPR within 180 days. Once the Department of Insurance has verified that you have met all of the standards for licensure, they will issue your license. You can print a copy of the issued license on the ODI Agent Locator.
· PSI notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.