6/05/20: The PA Insurance Department and PSI announced that beginning 7/1/20, a new testing platform will be released allowing candidates remote testing for insurance exams. Take a look into PSI's Remote Testing Technology and exam scheduling.
4/22/20: Notice 2020-12 outlines the issuance of temporary licensing in Pennsylvania.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Pennsylvania, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. Prelicensing education is valid for one year from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe. Use manager discount email firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher, or electronic check. You can make a reservation through the following methods:
· Online: www.psiexams.com
· Phone: (800) 733-9267
· Fax completed Registration Form to (702) 932-2666 and call PSI after 4 business days.
· Mail completed Registration Form and appropriate exam fee to PSI Services LLC, ATTN: Examination Registration PA INS, 3210 E Tropicana * Las Vegas, NV * 89121. After 2 weeks, call PSI to schedule the exam at (800) 733-9267.
What to Bring
One form of current signature identification:
· A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
You will be required to supply a copy of your Prelicensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to sign in and verify identification.
· No talking or any other form of communication among candidates is permitted in the exam area.
· Children, cell phones, calculators, pagers, cameras, programmable electronic devices and recording devices of any kind are NOT allowed.
· No smoking, eating, or drinking will be allowed at the exam site.
· Dictionaries, books, papers, or study and reference materials are NOT permitted.
· You may not exit the building during the exam.
· Copying or communicating exam content is a violation of PSI security policy. Either may result in the disqualification of exam results and lead to legal action and prosecution.
PSI exam sites have additional procedures:
· You will have your picture taken prior to admittance into the exam.
· You may not wear a jacket, coat or any type of hooded clothing into the exam room. Sweaters that do not have pockets are allowed.
· You may not bring a purse or backpack into the exam room.
· You will be asked to put these items in your vehicle. PSI only provides accordion type folders for any items. These folders are left in the lobby and PSI is not responsible for the security of those items.
· You may not wear a wristwatch into the exam room and you will be asked to empty your pockets.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Pennsylvania
· Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
1. If you do not pass, you will immediately receive an unsuccessful exam results letter along with a diagnostic report indicating your strengths and weaknesses by exam portion. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
2. If you pass, you will immediately receive a successful notification and performance summary on an exam results letter.
3. Apply for License and Get Fingerprinted
After passing the exam, apply for your license at the kiosk in the testing center or on your own by applying online at www.sircon.com/pennsylvania or www.NIPR.com. Register for fingerprinting immediately after applying for license. Click here for fingerprinting information.
4. Print Your License
You can check the status of your application at www.insurance.pa.gov. Once your license has been issued, you may also print off your license from the website.