South Dakota Updates:
2/17/21: Pearson VUE's online proctoring program, OnVUE, is now available for South Dakota candidates.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance or become an adjuster in South Dakota, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Pearson Vue. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/sd/insurance at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
· Phone: (888) 873-6205
o Before calling, you must have the following:
-Legal name, address, email address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
-Name of the exam(s)
-Preferred exam date and test center location
What to Bring
A current, signed form of identification that must:
· Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
· Contain both a current photo and your signature
· Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 15 minutes before the exam to check in with the test center administrator.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Studying is not allowed in the test center.
· The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
· You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to South Dakota
· Each exam contains "pretest" questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked "pass or fail".
· Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic and re-testing information. Candidates who do not pass can schedule the exam again with no waiting period.
3. Apply for License
After passing the exam, apply for your license by completing an application at http://www.sircon.com/southdakota.