6/29/21: Pearson VUE's online proctoring program, OnVUE, is now available for Texas candidates.
7/14/20: Veterans who passed any TX insurance exam since early 2019 can now be reimbursed for insurance exam fees by the TDI.
7/06/20: TDI issues notice confirming testing and fingerprinting centers remain open for those seeking agent/adjuster licensing. Temporary licenses will remain active until further notice.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course
If you would like to sell insurance in Texas, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email firstname.lastname@example.org to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Pearson VUE. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation at http://www.pearsonvue.com/tx/insurance at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
· Phone: (888) 754-7667
o Before you call, you must have the following:
-Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
-Name of the exam
-Preferred exam date and test center location
What to Bring
Two forms of current signature identification:
· A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
· A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed for the score report.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Studying is not allowed in the test center.
· The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
· Calculators are permitted only if they are silent, hand-held, nonprinting, and without an alphabetic keypad. Calculators are not provided by the test center staff.
· You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Texas
· Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
· Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic and re-testing information. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
3. Get Fingerprinted
Fingerprinting is available at the testing center. You can make an appointment by contacting MorphoTrust, USA at http://www.identogo.com or on the phone at (888) 467-2080.
4. Apply for a License
You can apply for your license 24 hours after passing the exam by completing an application at www.sircon.com/texas. The application process must be completed within one year of passing the exam or the exam must be retaken.