3/01/21: Effective March 15, 2021, the Utah Insurance Department is moving from Salt Lake City, to new office in Taylorsville.
6/16/20: Utah candidates will now have the option to take remotely proctored exams via Prometric's ProProctor online proctoring solution. Perform a system check on your computer to see if it meets the technical specifications and view the ProProctor User Guide for all other requirements.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance or become an adjuster in Utah, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a Master Card, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted.
· Online: https://www.prometric.com/utah/insurance
· Phone: (888) 226-8740
· Fax: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
1. Submit the registration form along with payment to:
ATTN: UT Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (800) 347-9242
2. Call (800) 697-8947 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
· A current, signed form of identification. The identification document must:
o Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
o Contain both a current photo and your signature
o Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidates educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
3. Apply for License
After passing the exam, complete and submit your license application electronically, and pay all required nonrefundable fees with a credit card. You can apply electronically from your home or office at Sircon or NIPR. Your application and fees will be electronically forwarded to the Department. After review and approval, you will be able to print your license from Sircon.
4. Print Your License
Once the application has been processed, you will be able to print off a copy of your license at www.sircon.com/utah by clicking on “Print a license”. To check the status of your application, go to www.sircon.com/utah and click on “Check license application status”.
Candidates who do not pass can schedule the exam again with no waiting period.