12/18/20: Beginning January 1, 2021, fingerprinting will be required for resident individuals applying for an insurance license in Virginia.
06/25/20: Take a look into Prometric's remote testing technology, ProProctor. Perform a system checkon your computer to see if it meets the technical specifications and view the ProProctor User Guide for all other requirements.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Virginia, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you should take an insurance course. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Get Fingerprinted
Beginning January 1, 2021, the Bureau requires all individuals applying for a resident insurance license to be fingerprinted. Fingerprinting must be done at a Fieldprint site, using “live scan” technology, which digitally captures and transmits the fingerprints to the Virginia State Police, and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). Schedule an appointment and pay to be fingerprinted at a FieldPrint location.
FieldPrint Code: FPVABOICHRR
3. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. Download the Licensing Information Bulletin for complete details. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check or cashier's check. Personal checks are not accepted.
· Phone: (866) 891-6396
· Fax/Mail: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
1. Submit the registration form along with payment to:
ATTN: VA Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (800) 347-9242
2. Call (800) 853-5448 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
Two forms of current ID. The primary ID must be valid, non-expired, government issued that bears both your photograph and signature such as your:
· Driver’s License
· US Passport
· State-issued identification card
· Military identification
The secondary ID must contain a valid signature.
If you do not bring proper identification to the Test Center, you cannot test and you will forfeit your exam fee.
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses. You will be provided access to a locer for personal items.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
· Candidates who do not pass must wait 24 hours before scheduling for re-examination. After the third time of failing the exam, Virginia law requires a 30-calendar day waiting period before retaking the exam.
4. Apply for a License
After passing the exam, complete and submit your license application electronically, and pay all required nonrefundable fees with a credit card. You can apply at Sircon or NIPR. Your application and fees will be electronically forwarded to the Department. After review and approval, you will be able to print your license from Sircon or NIPR.