12/28/20: Live Online Proctor Testing with the University of Alabama is available.
04/09/20: The Alabama Department of Insurance is allowing Temporary Resident Producer Licensing.
Alabama Department of Insurance (334) 241-4126
Testing Provider (University of Alabama) (205) 348-3000
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance in Alabama, you must complete an approved line of prelicensing education and pass the state licensing exam.
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. After passing the Certification Exam with a 70% or greater, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Prelicensing education is valid for one year from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe.
Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by the University of Alabama. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card or debit card. All reservations need to be made at least seven days (five business days) before the desired exam date. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation
· Phone: (205) 348-3000
What to Bring
Bring a current form of identification (a valid driver’s license, non-driver ID, passport, military ID, or employee ID card).
You will be required to present a notarized copy of your prelicensing education Certificate of Completion at the exam.
· Report to the test center 15-20 minutes before the exam to complete paperwork
· Examinees are not permitted to bring purses, study materials, books, calculators, or cell phones into the testing area
· Calculators will be provided for use
· Examinees may not leave the room during an exam without permission from the exam proctor.
· If you do not receive your confirmation letter by e-mail, call 205-348-0633 or email your name and confirmation number to firstname.lastname@example.org
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· Your examination will be graded immediately upon submission
· If you pass, you will be provided an original passing certificate certifying that you passed the examination with instruction on how to complete the application process and receive your license
· Your passing grades will be reported within 3-5 days electronically to the State of Alabama Department of Insurance
· The passing certificate is valid for a period of one year from the exam date indicated, during which time you should file your online license application with the State of Alabama Department of Insurance.
· The passing certificate will not be awarded until the monitor views passing results
· If time allows, you will be given the opportunity to review the questions that you missed
· If you do not pass, you can schedule the exam again, but it must be seven days in advance
3. Get Fingerprinted
Effective April 1, 2015, all individual resident applicants seeking to become licensed as Producers, Adjusters, or Title Agents must have completed a Fingerprint background check. You should seek to get fingerprinted after passing the state exam and one day before applying for the license.
4. Apply for a License
After passing the exam, apply for your license through NIPR. After 5 days, check the Alabama Department of Insurance website, and go to the License Search under Producers/Agents to confirm issuance of your license. Once a license is issued, you may print your license from the home page.