3/02/21: Pearson VUE's online proctoring program, OnVUE, is now available for Minnesota candidates.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance as an insurance producer in Minnesota, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you must take a state-approved insurance course.
When you satisfy the requirements for your course, you will receive a Certificate of Completion. Prelicensing education is valid for one year from the date of completion; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe.
Prelicensing Certification Exams must be monitored by a disinterested third party. (A disinterested third party, with a minimum age of 18 years old, who can be any person except for family members or individuals who have a financial interest in the student's success of the exam. Co-worker proctors must not be above or below in the student's line of supervision.) Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Pearson VUE. An exam fee must be paid at the time of reservation by credit card, debit card, voucher or electronic check. You can make an exam reservation through the following methods:
· Online: Make an online reservation at https://home.pearsonvue.com/mncommerce at least 24 hours before the desired exam date or 5 days in advance if paying by electronic check
· Phone: (833) 273-1946
Before calling, you must have the following:
-Legal name, address, Social Security number, daytime phone number, and date of birth
-Name of the examination(s)
-Preferred exam date and test center location
What to Bring
· You will be required to supply a printed copy of your Prelicensing Certificate of Completion in order to be admitted to the exam.
· Two forms of current signature identification:
o A primary ID (photograph and signature, not expired) such as a Driver’s License or Passport
o A secondary ID (signature, not expired) such as a Debit or Credit card
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed for the score report.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Studying is not allowed in the test center.
· The test administrator will provide you with materials to make notes or calculations. You may not write on these items before the exam begins or remove these items from the testing room.
· You will have the opportunity to take a tutorial that will not reduce the exam time.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· The exam consists of two parts:
1. The general section deals with basic insurance product knowledge
2. The state section deals with insurance laws, rules, and regulations, and practices that are unique to Minnesota
· Each exam contains “pretest” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Pretest questions may not be covered in your educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70.
· When you complete the exam, you will receive a score report marked “pass or fail”.
· Candidates who fail will receive a score report that includes a numeric score, diagnostic and re-testing information. Candidates can schedule another exam but must wait 24 hours before making the reservation.
3. Get Fingerprinted
To make a fingerprint reservation go to https://pearsonwest.ibtfingerprint.com, or call IDEMIA at (866) 761-8069. Pearson VUE offers electronic fingerprinting to all resident and non-resident candidates (whether or not they pass the examination) at the following test centers: Bloomington, MN; Brainerd, MN; Hermantown, MN; Marshall, MN; Pine City, MN; Rochester, MN; and St. Paul, MN. Digital fingerprints are transmitted electronically to law enforcement. These fingerprints are accurate, high quality, and in accordance with FBI and IAFIS requirements for live-scan imaging with a low rejection rate. Candidates testing at any of the centers listed above must make an advance reservation with IDEMIA to have their fingerprints captured on the same date as their exam appointment. Reserve a fingerprint appointment online at https://pearsonwest.ibtfingerprint.com or by contacting IDEMIA at (866) 761-8069 Monday through Saturday, 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. (Mountain Time). Use your full legal name, as it appears on your government-issued ID, when you make your fingerprint reservation. The fingerprint fee of $67.25, must be paid at the time of the reservation by credit card, debit card or electronic check. Be sure to select the correct license type when making your fingerprint reservations and completing the consent form to avoid delays in receiving your license.
4. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.