10/13/2021: Prometric will be changing the Maryland Insurance Administration exams to a 1-part examination effective 10/21/2021. The current 2-part exams will no longer be offered after 10/13/2021, including retake exams. There will be a blackout period from 10/14/2021 to 10/20/2021 where Maryland candidates will not be able to test. However, candidates will be able to schedule for exams 10/21/2021 and later.
09/29/2020: Prometric becomes the new test vendor in Maryland beginning 10/1/2020. Candidates will have the option to take remotely proctored exams via Prometric's ProProctor online proctoring solution.
1. Complete a Prelicensing Course with Exam FX
If you would like to sell insurance as an insurance producer in Maryland, you must pass a licensing exam. To prepare for the licensing exam, you must take a state-approved insurance course
To satisfy the requirements for your course, you will need to pass a Certification Exam. The Certification Exam is not monitored. After passing the Certification Exam with a 70% or greater, Exam FX will report your course completion to Prometric and will be issued an eligibility ID used for scheduling. You will be able to schedule your exam within 1-2 business days of the reporting. Prelicensing education is valid for 6 months from the completion date; you will need to take and pass your state exam within this timeframe.
Candidates who do not successfully take and pass the examinations within the six (6) month period, must retake the prelicensing course and apply to retake both portions of the examination. Use manager discount email email@example.com to take advantage of special rates for your prelicensing course. Start your licensing course here.
2. Pass a Licensing Exam
Making Exam Reservations
Licensing exams are provided by Prometric. You can make an exam reservation online, by phone, fax, or mail. Exam fees may be paid with a MasterCard, Visa, money order, company check, or cashier’s check. Personal checks are not accepted. You can register to have your fingerprints taken at the same time that you register for your exam.
· Phone: (800) 610-1174
· Fax: Registration via fax or mail is a two-step process:
1. Submit the registration form along with payment to:
ATTN: MD Insurance Exam Registration
7941 Corporate Drive
Nottingham, MD 21236
Fax: (800) 347-9242
Call (800) 610-1174 after the registration has been processed to schedule your exam.
What to Bring
· A current, signed form of identification. The identification document must:
o Be government-issued (e.g., driver’s license, state-issued or military id card)
o Contain both a current photo and your signature
o Have a name that exactly matches the name used to register for the exam
· Report to the test center 30 minutes before the exam to verify identification and be photographed.
· All testing sessions are video and audio recorded.
· No personal items are allowed in the testing room such as cell phones, watches, wallets, or purses.
· Each major line exam is given in a multiple-choice format.
· Each exam contains “experimental” questions that are mixed in with the scored questions and are not identified. Experimental questions may not be covered in the candidate’s educational materials and do not affect your final score!
· The passing score required on each exam is 70%.
· When you complete the exam, your score will be displayed on the screen and you will receive a printed score report. The score report will include whether you passed or failed, the overall percentage score, and percentage correct for each of the major sections of the exam.
· Prometric notifies the Department of Insurance your exam results within 2 business days.
· Candidates who do not pass can schedule the exam again with no waiting period.
3. Apply for License
Apply for your license by completing an application at www.nipr.com.